About ACE Academy
The National Black Coalition of Federal Aviation Administration Employees (NBCFAE), Tuskegee Airmen International National Museum (TAI) , Black United Fund of Michigan (BUF) and Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals (OBAP) Summer ACE Academy is a nationally recognized program co-sponsored by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the National Black Coalition of Federal Aviation Employees (NBCFAE), Tuskegee Airmen National Historical Museum (TAI) and Wayne State University.
The purpose of Aviation Career Education (ACE) is to offer first level exposure to the aviation industry by providing aviation career exploration for middle and high school students. Academy participants learn about aviation history, theory of flight, and other aviation related subjects. Students will have the opportunity to go on field trips to aviation facilities, museums and participate in other hands on activities designed to give students a total aviation experience.
The ACE program is designed to expose youths to the wide variety of career opportunities in aviation. The goal is to provide an opportunity for students to receive hands on experience of learning the history of aviation, fundamentals of aerodynamics, the role of government in aviation, and the many careers available in the aviation industry.
Students will meet Aviation Professionals and participate in field trips to a variety of aviation facilities and educational institutions.
As a member of an ACE Academy you will:
- Take an orientation flight in a Cessna or Piper type aircraft
- Receive basic aviation education
- Take field trips to different aviation related facilities
- Be introduced to aviation history
- Learn the qualities of leadership
- Associate and work with other youth
- Meet professionals from the aviation community
- Learn about unmanned aerial systems and remote control vehicles
Admission is offered to 9th through 11th grade (Fall 2018) boys and girls who have an interest in learning about aviation. Applicants are competitively ranked based on age, cumulative GPA, and essay.
- Students must be physically capable of participating in all activities.
- High standards of behavior and self-discipline are expected and students must abide by all academy regulations.
- Parents or guardians must attend an orientation before programs begin.
There is an application deadline noted on the webpage and is no less than two weeks from academy start date.
The requirements are:
- Submit a completed online ACE Academy application. Once completed be sure to PRINT and bring to the first day or orientation of the academy.
- Complete the online essay.
- Write and submit an essay of one page (only one page) expressing your interest in aviation. You may include your hobbies, civic involvement, and extra-curricular activities
- We recommend you give some thought to your essay as it is reviewed by your director.
- You may also consider typing it in MS Word or another text editor and cut and paste the content into the essay text block. Note you are only allowed a certain amount of space.
- Submit a copy of your most recent official school transcript or report card indicating your cumulative GPA.
Incomplete packages will not be considered for admission and all documents will be discarded. You will receive an email and/or regular mail confirmation if you are admitted into the Detroit ACE
Academy. Academy Cost: There is a $50 refundable application fee minus transaction fee for students not accepted. Limited scholarships are available. (Indicate you are seeking a scholarship at the end of your essay and select “Send Check” as the payment option on the application. Make all check/money orders payable to: Black United Fund – Ypsilanti ACE II Academy
Students will need money only if they intend to purchase personal items and are responsible for keeping their own funds.
Dates, July 30 - August 3rd
Location: Ypsilanti High School, Ypsilanti, MI
Please upload (2) letters of recommendation from one of your teachers.
Qualifications & Requirements
Admission to the ACE Academy is both competitive and selective.
Please provide us with a copy of the applicant’s:
- Most recent grades /progress report/ report card.
- Medical Release form
- Photo Release form
Complete fully. Once completed email or fax it to:
There is a refundable $50 application fee if you are not accepted to the